A New Approach to Designing with Artificial Intelligence
As objects around us begin to sense, think and learn in ways that previous industrially produced objects could not, it is possible they may begin to reveal ecosystems and enable designs we could never think of. More-than-Human Design is a new way of researching and designing in partnership with objects, data and algorithms. More-than-Human Design offers a toolbox of concepts and unconventional design methods that complement human-centered design skills and expand designers’ ability to frame and solve complex problems.
Powered by data, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, connected things (from product service systems to conversational agents) can sense, think and learn in ways that previous industrially produced objects could not. A more holistic perspective is needed to fully understand the different logics of the human and artificial actors that are involved in the digital transformation of society, and to create the conditions for responsible and sustainable digital futures. This fundamentally new perspective is More-than-Human Design.
During this master class you will:
- Understand the fluid and entangled nature of things in a digital world;
- Apply ideas of more-than-human design to expand human imagination and capabilities in creating the conditions for inclusive and sustainable data-driven ecosystems;
- Select and devise more-than-human design tools and techniques in design practice.
- More-than-human design theory and methodology;
- Methods and tools of more-than-human design;
- Cases and examples of more-than-human design.
Elisa Giaccardi is Professor of Post-Industrial Design at IDE, TU Delft. She is Director of the MSc Design for Interaction, Associate Editor for Springer HCI (http://hci-journal.com/), and Coordinator of the European network and PhD program DCODE (http://dcode-network.eu/).